3.24.2008

Collared Kingfisher and the Orange-Headed Thrush


I spent the beginning of March this year down in Southern Thailand on a beach called Ao Ton Sai, where limestone cliffs tower over the spectacular blue waters of the Andaman. It's a world renowned climber's paradise, and deservedly so.

I was there to climb and puff, sure. However I did bring my binoculars and Namjai, my faithful mutt, in hopes of adding a few species to the life list. My kick-fucking-ass 'Birds of Thailand' Princeton field guide was packed as well; lets do this.

Away from the blazing sandy shores or Ton Sai and in the shady and less blazy jungles of Raleigh I spotted an 'Orange-Headed Thrush'. Easy to identify and confirm; found camouflaged hopping around on the dry leafy jungle floor, just like the book said.



During the kayaking and deep water soloing expeditions I saw nearly half a dozen 'Collared Kingfishers.' Can be easily spotted along most shorelines, the blue wings are gorgeous during flight. Not to be missed.



No comments: